The Church of St Mary the Virgin
Little Houghton, Northamptonshire
History of St Mary’s Church
Domesday Book does not record a church in the village, but around AD1100 there is evidence that one was founded by William de Hohtone. No traces of the original building, probably of wood, remain. Of the present church, the south door arch and the font are thought to date from about AD1200.
The original tower, of three storeys dating from c1225, is of fine proportion with an upper arcade of five openings on each face. It is likely that they were filled-
The church was substantially rebuilt in the Gothic style in 1873-
The only mediaeval furnishings to survive are three misericord seats in the chancel; they have heads of men and monsters as arm-
The glass is mainly late Victorian, and is considered to be of good quality. An early William Hill organ was acquired from a redundant church in Birmingham in 2000, when it was rebuilt to its original 1846 specification; it is listed as being an instrument of historic national importance.